Help! My child was diagnosed with learning disabilities.

“My child’s teacher wants to set up a meeting: she says there are too many “red flags” all over the place concerning her performance at school. She thinks we might need to have her tested.”

In the “old days”, students with different learning styles  or learning disabilities simply didn’t fit it – they were labeled “dumb”, “slow”, or “lazy”. They fell between the cracks, fell behind, and ended up in vocational or trade schools. The Toronto school system decided early on what their outcomes would be, and that was that. read more

Parent support for Asperger’s/ASD in Toronto

If you are the parent of a child/adolescent with ASD, you may often feel isolated. It is a huge challenge to parent children with atypical development!

Parents need the support of external resource people who are knowledgeable about ASD, understand its impact on family life, and can point them in the direction of supports in Toronto for people on the ASD spectrum. Most importantly, parents need to meet other parents who share the same challenges. People who understand. read more

Help, my child was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome.

Many parents of children with Asperger’s are in this predicament: after years of wondering if, and what might be different about their child, they finally get an answer…but it’s just the beginning. After all the testing is done, doctors pull together a diagnosis: a medical term that best explains the symptoms, traits and behaviors you have been wondering about in your child. For most parents, it’s a relief. read more

ADHD Toronto study needs participants

ADHD (Young Adults, Parents, and Professionals) are interviewing young adults with ADHD, their parents, and professionals who work with young adults with ADHD. The insights drawn from these interviews will be used to develop health solutions and programs that better meet patients’ needs. Your personal information will be kept strictly confidential. read more

Claim social work fees for ADHD as medical expenses



As of September 26, 2012, counseling services provided by Registered Social Workers (RSWs) can be claimed as a medical expense tax deduction when you file your income tax return. In other words, Registered Social Workers are now authorized “medical practitioners” for the purpose of claiming medical expenses. read more